Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Last night I met Kenneth Anger



















































I am still on cloud nine after getting the chance to meet and have a chat with a huge hero of mine, experimental filmmaker Kenneth Anger. Anger is one of the most innovative filmmakers of the 20th Century. As an octogenarian, Anger continues to make subversive and controversial films with recent films including a tribute to the suicide of his friend Elliot Smith 'Elliot's Suicide'(2007) and a film using archival footage of The Third Reich's Hitler Youth 'Ich Will'(2008).

Last night he was showing a more obscure film of his from 1950 called 'Rabbit's Moon'at the BFI. The film itself was only 17 minutes long. I enjoyed it but maybe not as much as his more occult based films from the 1960's and 70's. Either way it was amazing to see a film of his on the big screen.

The screening was followed by an insightful Q&A session with the director lead by writer and one time Blondie member Gary 'Valentine' Lachman. Anger is still incredibly astute and hilarious. I managed to track him down after the screening and was lucky enough to sit down and have a chat with him. I gave him my showreel with my film 'Le Bete' on it. I am hoping he might find it interesting as it was shot in Land's End at Men-an-tol, an ancient holed stone monument and one of Aleister Crowley' favourite ritualistic stomping grounds.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kathryn,

    I'm glad I pointed you in the right direction to get to Kenneth and that you managed to get a copy of your film to him. I'm also glad you liked the interview; I know I certainly enjoyed doing it. As I mentioned, I'll be introducing Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome at Occulture on the 23rd; either Lucifer Rising or Invocation of My Demon Brother will also screen. So maybe I'll see you there?
    All the best, Gary Lachman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,

    It's fantastic to hear from you. Yes I managed to track him down. I'd like to send you some of my work as well but can't seem to access your blog to send you a message. Have you got an email?

    I am definitely going to go to Occulture. It's sounds amazing.

    Best,

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete