Thursday, 5 March 2009



















I feel like I have been on a very interesting journey with The Birds Eye View Film Festival. After I made my first experimental film back in 2006 I decided out of curiosity more than anything else to enter it into their 2007 film festival. I was stunned when it was chosen for their UK shorts programme. A few months after the initial screening at the ICA and after various Q&A sessions with the touring programme I was called into their offices to discuss the 'fashion film' genre I kept harping on about. In the summer of 2007 I was asked if I'd be interested in developing a fashion film strand for the festival. I was delighted as I was incredibly interested in the genre and how it was developing. Whilst at college I had been hugely inspired by the mesmirising films on Nick Knight's SHOWstudio website. They inspired me enough to pick up a camera and start experimenting myself.

Last year was the first installment of the fashion film strand. The screening was more of a retrospective of film from the last ten years. We began with Bella Freud from 1998 and ended with a film I made for David David in 2008. This years screening however will concentrate on work made over the past year. It has been hugely interesting for me picking the films to show. Whilst last years screening was almost quite difficult to fill this year I have been inundated with lots of amazing new work. It has been clear to me the speed at which this genre is developing.

I am really excited about the work that will be shown next week, I personally think it's all superb. Incredibly artistic and imaginative. It makes utter sense why fashion and film would merge so successfully. The impact of the fluidity of the fabric with sound and moving image is very intense.

This years screening will include film by Ruth Hogben (Gareth Pugh), Sarah Chatfield (YSL), Toyin (Replay), Lorna Lavelle (Modernist), Elisha Smith Leverock (Fred Butler), Monica Elkelv and Darren Smith (Hannah Marshall). I shall also be showing my new film for Erika Trotzig at the event. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion with Laura Bradley from SHOWstudio and a selection of the filmmakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment